One of a couple’s most valuable possessions is frequently the family house. Additionally, it might be sentimental to both parties. In a divorce, issues like who gets to keep the house or how the assets will be divided in a sale can get contentious. Under these challenging conditions, selling the home and moving on typically make the most sense. Continue reading to find out how to sell a house fast in Columbus, MT, during a divorce.
What Are Your Primary Options?
There are a few different options for what to do with your home.
- The two parties will co-own the home, but one will move out at a predetermined time.
- One person purchases the home from the other and keeps the property.
- The two decide to sell the house immediately and divide the proceeds equally.
Ways to Sell Your Columbus Property During Divorce
If selling the property seems like the best option, here are a few things to keep in mind.
1. Preparing to Sell Your House
- Determine the house’s worth.
- Complete the required upkeep and repairs.
- Make any improvements that would aid the home’s sale, such as adding new appliances.
- Carry out the landscaping that is required.
- Prepare to stage the home for showings.
- When the house is on the market, you or your spouse might also need to find alternate housing.
2. Sell Your House
It is important to work with a real estate agent you trust. They may advise you about how to advertise your house for sale, place it on local real estate sale websites, and estimate its worth. Remember that you or your spouse (or both) must pay estate agent fees. Then, you’ll need to wait for an offer before agreeing to the price.
3. Consider an Offer
You should eventually receive a bid from a potential buyer for your home. The offer you get will depend on the location and condition of the house, the current market, the time of year, and other factors. You have to decide if the offer is fair and may need to negotiate aspects of the deal with the potential buyer.
4. Share the Profits
After your home is sold, you and your ex must determine who will receive what share of the profit. You can reach a fair conclusion by seeking legal counsel throughout the house sale process.
A Simpler Choice
If you don’t want to deal with getting your house ready for sale, spending money on upgrades and repairs, finding an agent, and waiting on the sales process, there is another option. Consider accepting a quick and fair cash offer from Homestead Properties LLC for your house. We buy houses as-in in Columbus, MT, and eliminate all the burden from selling your home. A divorce can be complicated and emotional, but we can simplify one part of the process.